Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Welcome to the totally awesome Aldana drawing blog extraordinaire.  We will be using this blog as a lighthearted way to express ideas, learn about some new artists you might not know about and offer more insight into your endeavors in the art world.  Participation does count. I'd like you to post something every week.  Be involved!  Rattle off ideas, flesh them out with other students, see their reactions. As we all know, talking online is usually a little more brutal than face to face, however, I'd like it if you retained the same decorum that you would have with one another in the class room, besides, you never know who will be the next unibomber and you don't want to piss them off.   So for the first week, I just want a simple discussion on concept.  Please, be open and honest as well as insightful and don't leave ill thought simpleton answers.  Elaboration is encouraged... but then again, nobody likes a douche so keep that in mind.


For discussion, what do you think "concept" is and what is its roll in YOUR art?  To what degree is concept important to your work?  What is your definition of "art"? Why is your definition right?  What is your goal as a budding arti

8 comments:

  1. Concept is an idea and the understanding of an idea. Concept is important in art because it is important to have an idea of what you want to paint or draw. Concept helps you understand how you want a piece of art work to look and how you want it be perceived. Concept plays a huge role in my artwork. I never just sit down and start painting or drawing. I always try and decide what I want to do and how I want my finished piece to look.

    My definition of art would have to be anything in the world that someone has created for others to enjoy and gain something from when they view it. I think my definition is correct because there is no definite way of defining art, it is all in people's opinion. So in a way everyone's opinion is right, in their own mind.

    As a budding artist my goal is to gain as much knowledge about painting as I can so that you can see improvement in my paintings.

    Macie Clement
    ART 111 MoW 5:00-7:45

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to Webster Concept is 1) something conceived in the mind: thought, notion. 2) an abstract or generic idea generalized from particular instances. I don't think that's the olny defintion for it. I think Everyone has a different definition for everything. So to me, concept (when talking about art) is the beginning of a vision someone has that is so strong within themselves that they are compelled to express it---usually if not always as "art."

    I'm not interested in what the dictionary has to say about art because I don't believe there is any one way to define or describe art. But to me, art is part of being human (or humanoid (like the cave paintings by neanderthals*)*so as not to be offensive to anyone on here, they haven't yet proven that neanderthals were the artists but it seems they are most likely to have been). But I don't think that the visual arts are the only things that can be called "art." I think that writers, musicians, and artists all create "art." I even think a kiss or other display of emotion could be considered art. So basically I think art is the outward expression of concept.

    So as far as "concept" goes in my "art," I usually draw, paint, or sing when I'm feeling inspired by something, wether that be something I witnessed, something someone said, or an emotion. I don't always know what I'm going to paint or draw when I get the urge to "make art." But I'm not sure it's really necessary to have a clear idea of what you want to make in order to create art. Maybe art and concept happen simultaneously and/or even subconsciously?

    So to put an end to this ramble, what I hope to gain from this class is the ability to make me art pretty one day and if nothing else to gain even greater appreciatoin for art by learning how it's created (because this $#!t ain't easy!) And I really hope this thing has spell check and I didn't goof up any words and look like an idiot anymore than I already do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Concept is a thought, idea, or the point of a piece of artwork. Concept plays an important role in my art because I want viewers to really understand why I created the piece so they can appreciate it more. Sure i'll be excited that they like what they see, but I'll feel more accomplished if they understand the idea. If they don't, then at least I know my point is known.

    My definition of art? Hmm.. I never really had a definition for it because I didn't think it could be defined. I always thought it depended on what the creator's concept was when creating it. I still feel that way, but if I absolutely had to give art a definition, I would say its something created by someone to entertain, inform, tell a story, or express themselves. No matter how they do it. Music, dance, drawing, writing, sculpting, etc. They're all forms of "art".

    My goal as a budding artist is to expand my horizons by becoming better at other forms of art. Photography and graphic design have been my comfort zones for a long time and i'm ready to change that. I also want to fully understand the principles of art.


    Marcus Evans
    Art 111 MoW 5:00-7:45





    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that if a piece of are work has a concept, its part of what motivates the artist into making it. Otherwise it could just be the human urge to create, but its the human urge to communicate is what creates art with a concept. for me and my art the concept is what i want the viewer to understand. I don't always have a concept though, I think some artists just paint or draw something for the sake of just drawing or painting. they just felt like it. Of course with the above urinal, it has to have a concept or a purpose or its just a random urinal. And my definition of art is some thing that was created and is pleasing to the eye, which is why there is so many definitions of art. we all see different things as art. and my goal as a "budding artist" is to strengthen my skills is rendering the visual world and invoking emotions and thoughts in those who see my art. I also want to gain all the knowledge i can so i can pass it on to other "budding artists".

    ReplyDelete
  5. A concept is a principle of a thought or idea, the basis or foundation that gives meaning to a subject of imagination, idea, plan, or line of thinking. As an engineering major, its role in my art would be mostly practical for planning and application. As a mechanical engineer, grasping concepts may be key to envisioning and manufacturing a physical solution to a problem or creating something innovative and practical. For example, imagine life for the automobile driver on a rainy day before the windshield wiper.
    My definition of art is “visually stimulating”. It might be visually relaxing, thought provoking, agitating, pleasant to look at, or disturbing yet hard to turn away from. All of this is visually stimulating in some manner. My definition of art is not right, nor is it wrong. It’s my concept (see first line of first paragraph:) ). Being an artist isn’t in my primary career plans. If it happens, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A concept is a general idea or intention. Concept is what can get the drawing started. I have to have an idea in my head of where I want my drawing to go and what it needs to look like to get there. It helps me develop my drawing and bring it to life. I think that it is good to have a concept but then again, I guess one is not necessarily needed for everyone.
    My definition of art is anything that someone has made with creativity and imagination. I want art to inspire me, and I don't think my definition of art is right because people interpret things differently. My goal is to learn more about art and have a deeper appreciation for it, and hopefully, I will become a better drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Concept is basically the fundamentals of the purpose behind the art which is important to read and comprehend. However when I create art, i dont plan ahead and define my art aka the concept because art is an expression of yourself. Because it is an expression or part of your life, it changes as you grow and which is why not everybody will like your art because they would either not have a clue to what your expression and thoughts were or they are just jelous because they can only draw a stick man that looks like a Quasimodo from the hunch back of notre-dame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A concept is an idea, and in art can be a catalyst to form an idea for a piece or a collection of work. As a fashion merchandising major to me a concept can be a clothing line, or even a store layout based on a brands ideals at that moment. Every season has a few main concepts that are visible in fashion, I feel that art can be similar in that regard.

    My definition of Art is anything done, or produced that allows one to express something on the inside to the outside world. Something that makes us step outside of the box look, and think even if its for a moment. Weather it is a beautiful landscape or a new style of pant that is what art means to me.

    My goal in this class is to learn to draw, and to re introduce myself to the process of creating because I haven't taken in art class in years.

    ReplyDelete