So what causes you to make the mark that has been made? Some people give slow meandering, wandering lines, while others may mark quick and erratic. So what is the driving force behind that mark? The subconscious? There may be an intent in the mark making, but as your making it, it is unplanned and the line just moves.
The word Asemic means "having no specific semantic content." With the nonspecificity of asemic writing there comes a vacuum of meaning which is left for the reader to fill in and interpret. All of this is similar to the way one would deduce meaning from an abstract work of art. The open nature of asemic works allows for meaning to occur trans-linguistically; an asemic text may be "read" in a similar fashion regardless of the reader's natural language.
Multiple meanings for the same symbolism are another possibility for an asemic work. Some asemic writing includes pictograms or ideograms, the meanings of which are sometimes, but not always, suggested by their shapes. Asemic writing, at times, exists as a conception or shadow of conventional writing practices. Reflecting writing, but not completely existing as a traditional writing system, asemic writing seeks to make the reader hover in a state between reading and looking. Asemic writing has no verbal sense, though it may have clear textual sense. Through its formatting and structure, asemic writing may suggest a type of document and, thereby, suggest a meaning. The form of art is still writing, often calligraphic in form, and either depends on a reader's sense and knowledge of writing systems for it to make sense, or can be understood through aesthetic intuition.
zhang xu
cy twombly

It was a freeing experience to me to make unplanned marks. There was no pressure on what is was supposed to look like and I was able to draw what came to mind. No one would really ever know if you messed up, and it can be interpreted in different ways to different people. I really enjoyed getting to explore into Asemic art. It's funny to think that we've all done Asemic art before and not even realized it.
ReplyDeleteAsemic art is very useful because it gets you to think freely and gives you a new perspective on art. It helps you to become a better artist because that's just one more form of art that you are now familiar with. I think it has definitely helped me for future works.
Brittany Hill
Art 111 MoW 5-7:45
It was very stress-relieving for me. Just to scribble down a few marks to let out frustration or built up emotion was therapeutic. I will definitely use this more often.
ReplyDeleteI made sure I used different medias, like charcoal and a graphite stick, to play around with and see the results. I agree with Brittnay that it helps you think freely. It helps you clear your mind and open up to new ideas.
Amanda Hall
Art111-05 MoW 5-7:45
Reading about asemic art was pretty interesting. I have never heard of anything like that before. When I went to go do it in my sketch pad it actually looked pretty neat. It says something about your subconscious in the text and its weird because I could feel myself thinking about what I was doing but my thoughts weren't clear. It was as if something from the outside was telling my brain to move my hand in a certain way. I enjoyed doing it with the chalk as well. Even when I tried writing my name it was pretty cool how it turned out.
ReplyDeleteSammy Marcello
Art111 MoW 5-7:75
I agree with everyone else on here that this exercise was liberating. I let my hand have fluidity and movement without trying to achieve any sort of clear mentally defined goal of rendering a tangible object as a drawing which helped to diminish fear and anxiety about being correct and allowed me to feel "natrual" with the process of creating art. I thought about the word love and the motions the hand makes when writing the letters, then I tried not to think about anything just let my hand go where it wanted to (in a sense.)
ReplyDeleteI was never familiar with the term asemic art, but there's a line in a song by Ani DiFranco in which she says "...filled with the kind of marks we make when trying to make a pen work again...a whole lifetime of them..." And that line has always resonated with me. I think all these erratic marks, some more patient, some frantic, but thousands of marks that would otherwise make no sense except that they were made by people while they were trying to accomplish something else with that pen and in a sense they accomplished or at least conveyed a message in that mark that said, I am atempting to acomplish something with this pen. I believe that people are innately creative beings. People don't become artists as much as we are born with art as part of the human condition, not that there are no artists, but but artists are the ones who recognize the significance of this human characteristic and have chosen to refine and expand it.
Asemic markings could be used to come up with ideas about something to draw like seeing images in the clouds in the sky on sunny days. I used to do this when I was a kid. I didn’t know what it was called, I just thought it was doodling. I’d sit in class, bored senseless, passing my pen or pencil over my tablet paper, making marks until something in the patterns caught my eye. Then I’d try to enhance, embellish, and/or extend it.
ReplyDeleteIn my sketch book I’ve made two pages of marks: the first page is just one long free flowing, crossing, re-crossing, squiggly line ( I just let my hand do what it felt like doing). In it I see a ball, a flower petal, and a happy whale. The second page I confined my hand to a cursive writing technic and wrote a half page paragraph of absolutely nothing. I see a couple of letters, (maybe), but nothing that could be recognized as a word. For the second paragraph, I used a staccato form of printing. If you’ve ever seen TV shows or movies like Alien Nation or Stargate SG-1, you’ll see the resemblance in some of the alien writing or characters on the stargates. I see a lot of symbols that look like letters, mostly “T”s, “X”s and “N”s, and a few words, one of which is, ironically, “noun”.
Asemic marking can be fun and quite useful.
so i tried a little of the asemic art and I'm sad to say I didn't get as much out of it as some of you seemed to have. It didn't feel satisfying, productive, or even fun. I do like just writing words over a page until its illegible though. I guess for me there has to be a clear message even if the viewer can't read it. still the words are there for the one who put them there, and that's exactly how i like all of my work to be. For me, and my purposes/motivations. But what Dwight said about the Stargate thing sounds pretty cool though....
ReplyDeleteI attempted asemic art and I though it was fun it just reminded me of doodling in my notebook in class or something. The idea also kind of reminded me of coming up with a secret language or something ancient like hieroglyphics. Most of my marks resemble cursive letter and squiggles I didn't love it as much as a lot of you all seemed to but it was kinda fun.
ReplyDelete