Saturday, September 15, 2012

Real - istic?

For this week, I was just reading an article on cnn.com about how science is trying to understand how we, as humans, view art. Personally, I don't think the collective WE will ever know for sure what happens when we view art, but at least they are thinking about it. So art, it is a Nonverbal form of communication, it is also fake and from the perspective of one person. Art, the root word itself, means something that is not real or naturally occurring... Art-ificial, Art-ifice... (artificial (adj.) late 14c., in the phrase artificial day "part of the day from sunrise to sunset," from O.Fr. artificial, from L. artificialis "of or belonging to art," from artificium (see artifice). Meaning "made by man" (opposite of natural) is from early 15c. Applied to things that are not natural, whether real (artificial light) or not (artificial flowers).) The word art itself from 14c. means cunning or trickery, mostly because, through your invention, you may alter how others perceive the natural world. .


So just think about how we stare at a painting and talk about the bed in a painting, or the flowers, or any object as if it is real, yet, it isn't real, and even if it resembles something real, it is still your twist and definition on the object. The idea is real(To the artist only - to the viewer, the idea is an abstract idea because they do not have the same definitions, ENTIRELY, as the artist). I think this opens the door for us to discuss Plato's "forms." If your interested in this topic google it, but I'll bring some literature for us to discuss in class on the Plato's world forms next week.

 So, knowing that art isn't real objects, but still may illicit very real ideas and emotions, read the article, and come back and comment. http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/15/health/art-brain-mind/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that about shadows before. How they can be pretty incorrect but look believable. Kinda like there are those people who can draw or paint amazing things to the average person even though they never took an art class. Interesting how the brain and eyes interpret things. I think the part about the exaggerated things is pretty interesting. The artist I have to copy, Kathe Kollwitz, has very exaggerated figures that are almost disproportionate or distorted, but it works to give a heightened emotional feel to the image. Her work wouldn't read the same without that. I found the article to be interesting. And in my opinion, after reading this, to answer the question they posed: is art a lie?; I think that reality is undefined and each individual's perception and reformation, or art, is a much a lie as what is real is unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is really fascinating how the brain works. It is funny how we can just draw contour lines of something and our brain recognizes it even though the real object doesn't really have lines that outline it. The research that neurologist are doing with the brain and with art is neat. I also found it interesting that our brains naturally prefer certain patterns and colors. Everyone does perceive art in different ways.

    ReplyDelete